Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to transplant a tree.
1 Wrap tree with rope to protect the branches during transport to new location.
2 Measure the width of tree trunk; multiply by 10 to determine root ball diameter.
3 Tie tope around trunk to represent radius of root ball; scratch root ball diameter in dirt around tree.
4 Cut straight down with square-blade shovel to sever roots all around tree.
5 Dig around the root ball with pointed shovel.
6 Cut thick roots with loppers.
7 Continue digging to undercut tree and reveal root ball.
8 Wrap burlap around root ball and pin with nails.
9 Tie burlap to root ball with string.
10 Push tree onto tree dolly, and pull it from hole.
11 Dig new hole twice as wide as root ball, and 2 inches shorter than height of root ball.
12 Set tree in hole; cut away burlap.
13 Mix starter fertilizer with soil.
14 Back fill around tree with soil; untie the branches.
15 Form 4-inch-high ring of soil around tree.
16 Drive in stakes around tree; secure stakes to tree with plastic ties.
17 Thoroughly water tree with garden hose.
18 Add bark mulch around base of tree.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades