Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to prune a privet hedge.
1 Use loppers to remove one-third of the older stems, so sunlight can penetrate the hedge's interior.
2 Find long stems that grow out of hedge, and snip them close to the ground.
3 Where one stem branches into two, cut just above the Y-shaped split.
4 Continue cutting older stems, but leave new growth.
5 Use hand pruners to thin stems.
6 Place clippings in trash bags.
7 Next spring, apply a shrub fertilizer.
8 Next summer, repeat pruning by removing one-third of the large stems.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades