Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to plant a tree.
1. Measure width of tree's root ball; multiply times three to calculate tree-hole diameter.
2. Mark the tree-hole diameter onto the ground with line-marking spray paint.
3. Use shovel to remove grass from marked circle; place grass on tarp and add to compost.
4. Measure height of root ball up to the root flare.
5. Dig hole depth to equal height to root flare.
6. Stretch taut string across hole and measure down to check hole depth.
7. Roll the tree into the hole.
8. Cut twine from branches.
9. Rotate tree with best side facing the street.
10. Use bolt cutters to remove the wire basket from the root ball.
11. Pull the burlap away from the root ball.
12. Add superphosphate and starter fertilizer to the hole.
13. Back fill around root ball with excavated topsoil.
14. Force garden hose deep into hole and fill hole with water.
15. Water tree every day for the first week, twice a week for the second week, and then once a week every week until the ground freezes.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades