Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to plant a tree in poor soil.
1 Select spot for tree away from house and overhead wires.
2 Measure diameter of the plastic tree pot.
3 Dig a hole four times wider than pot and as deep as the pot.
4 Add compost to topsoil; mix with shovel.
5 Set tree in hole; lift up and pull off pot.
6 Rotate best face of tree toward street with main branches parallel with house.
7 Scratch root ball with cultivator to loosen roots.
8 Add starter fertilizer and superphosphorous to topsoil.
9 Backfill around tree with amended topsoil.
10 Form 4-inch-high ring of soil around tree, fill with water.
11 Stake tree with wires; wrap garden hose around wire to protect tree bark.
12 Add 2 or 3 inches of bark mulch; keep mulch away from trunk.
13 Wrap drip-irrigation bag around base of tree; fill bag with water.
14 Refill the bag with water twice every week until the root system is established.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades