Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to install a rainwater collection system.
1. Install three solid-concrete barrel blocks in garden beside a downspout; check blocks for level.
2. Set rain barrel on top of blocks with its spigot facing the garden.
3. Disconnect and remove the downspout.
4. Attach water diverter to downspout elbow with self-tapping gutter screws.
5. Using template provided, mark and trim top end of downspout with aviation snips to accommodate the diverter.
6. Slide downspout onto diverter and secure with gutter screws.
7. Connect rubber hose to diverter oulet; secure hose to downspout with nylon cable ties.
8. Attach soaker hose to spigot on barrel, then run the hose around each plant in the garden.
9. Cover soaker hose with thick layer of mulch.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.